Thursday, June 26, 2014








stevemccurry.com



"Afghan Girl"
stevemccurry.com


"India"
stevemccurry.com


"Indonesia"
stevemccurry.com


"Lebanon"
stevemccurry.com


stevemccurry.com



"Thailand"
stevemccurry.com


"Sri Lanka"
stevemccurry.com


"Kashmir"
stevemccurry.com


stevemccurry.com


Soulful is the one word that comes to mind when viewing Steve McCurry's work. One of the most famous photographers on the 21st century, McCurry continues to enthrall us with his craft, as we live vicariously through his incredible travels and faces. Steve is grew up in our own Philadelphia and studied photography at the College of Arts and Architecture at Penn State University. He worked for a Newspaper for two years, then took off to India to freelance. From there, the rest of his life began

Now regarded as one of the most Iconic photographers living, I am sure some of you recognize several of these photos. He began his career hiding in native Afghani clothing when he crossed the Pakistan Afghanistan border before the Russian Invasion. He was able to capture some of the first images of the conflict there as well as unforgettable faces. It was there in a refugee camp near  that he took one of the most incredible photos ever taken – the Afghan girl. Her face became the cover photo of National Geographic june1985. From there the rest of his career can be seen in his stunning photographs.

His work has been featured in every major magazine in the world. He frequently appears in NAtional Geographic with articles on Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, and the temples of Cambodia. A high point in his career was when he rediscovered the Afghani girl refugee more than 10 years later. He has also published many books showcasing his incredible work including, Monsoon (1988) and Sanctuary (2002). He continues to travel and delight us, capturing unforgettable people and moments.

What I found in McCurry's photography was an overwhelming honest and soulfulness. With his eye for subject and chillingly detailed exposure, we really get a peek into the spirit of his subjects and landscapes. He is the iconic National Geographer in it's true sense, daring to go to forbidden places only to show us unbelievable beauty. His work is an inspiration to myself and all aspiring photographers.  

BIBLIOGRAPHY 

stevemccurry.com

photography.nationalgeographic.com

wikipedia.com  








3 comments:

  1. First off, I love how you presented his work! You truly highlighted the beauty of his photographs. I have definitely seen the photo entitled "Afghan Girl", I just couldn't remember if it was from a Time or National Geographic magazine. I am glad you presented him because now I can put a face to his photographs! I love the vibrancy of his images and the way he chooses to frame them. I feel like his work transports me to places that I may never visit, which is an amazing quality. His landscape images are truly stunning, the large DOF he is able to achieve is amazing. I think my favorite photos though of his are those of civilians. Specifically, the one entitled "India". I am so curious as to how he took this photo, like, where was he positioned to capture this moment? Mercury was able to capture an unique moment, and I like how the colors perhaps unintentionally pop against each other. Thank you for introducing me to Steve Mercury's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex,
    I want to say that I love your photos. I love seeing how people in other countries live, because it gives us perspective of our own lives. We can get so wrapped up in whats going on here and not realize that life is moving on in other parts of the world. I like how your photos show different aspects of everyday life as well. Some people are working, and some are playing in the photos. Your selection of photos also have great color, especially the top photo. The little girls eyes just jump right out you, they can not be ignored. It is like she is looking right through me. You chose a great photographer as well as some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,

    McCurry was a great choice for your research project. As you said, he is a very inspirational photographer with iconic photos. They are raw, beautiful, and show the viewers a part of the world that many of us didn't even think to stop and imagine. Each of these pictures show a piece of culture along with the hidden beauty within them. I also like the quote cards that are included, they really suit the subjects of all the photos. My favorite photo from the set you provided is the sixth one, "India." I love the contrast of the colors, the one man spattered in green chalk pastel being carried amongst the other people covered in lavender chalk pastel. Then there is the look of serene happiness on his face, it just matches the bright color he is covered in perfectly. Radiant and eye catching. You did a great job on your research project.

    ReplyDelete