Thursday, June 26, 2014

Luke Shimpeno_Final Presentation_Dave Engledow_"The Worlds Best Dad Series"

Dave Engledow is not your typical father that posts pictures of his child to Facebook, but instead uses his degree in photojournalism from the University of Austin Texas to create artistic narratives that document his daughter, Alice Bee’s, life. Dave Engledow did a Q&A with “The Baltimore Sun” to tell his viewers why he started such a project. Dave was quoted in his interview stating "I had not originally intended to insert myself into the images, but soon after Alice Bee was born, I was inspired (probably due to lack of sleep) to portray what new fatherhood felt like to me at the time—I wanted to show the cluelessness and exhaustion felt as a new father, while poking fun at myself” (‘Confessions of the world’s best father’: A Q&A with Dave Engledow, The Baltimore Sun).
 Moving On Up, 2012
 Engledow isn’t just documenting his daughters life, he is giving her a childhood at the same creating a parody for himself that is an alter ego of the father he never wants to be. His photo’s are highly involved, taking one to two hours worth of photos of his daughter to capture the right one. Hismethod besides the fruit snacks he bribes his daughter to sit still with, is to  take pictures of himself by setting his camera to take 6 pictures at a time over a duration of around 30 minutes until he get’s the right expression. From there Engledow spends another 5-15 hours editing his pictures in Photoshop.
 Fathers Day Breakfast, 2012
 Worlds Best Father, 2012
 Worlds Best Father, 2013
 Worlds Best Father,2014
Like the photo above and many other pictures he uses Photoshop to put multiple images of his daughter in the frame. His mug that provides the label for his them “Worlds Greatest Dad” is the motif for each picture. His content is always specific in each picture that symbolizes the struggles parents, especially new parents face when raising children. Through his photography he is able to express his worries of becoming a neglectful father as he explains, “I think the shots that show me being distracted (reading the Sports page, absorbed in my laptop/ iPad) are the ones that hit closest to home and portray my biggest fear as a father—a tendency to get absorbed in things and not pay enough attention to those around me” (‘Confessions of the world’s best father’: A Q&A with Dave Engledow, The Baltimore Sun).
 Giving Thanks, 2013
 Gagnam Style, 2013
What started out three years ago in 2011 as a way to document Alice Bee’s life turned into a huge internet success. Dave has now published a book titled “Confessions of the Worlds Best Father” showcasing his work above and is also in the process of creating a calendar series. According to Engledow this was not what he intended for the project which was supposed to be more gritty and satirical, but what was discovered by viewers was the complete opposite, “Ironically, what a lot of people tell me they take away from these images is the obvious love that I have for Alice Bee—people see beyond the silly, satirical character I portray in these images and instead see a father who has decided to spend his precious free-time creating something special and unique for his daughter. I guess that’s pretty cool, if unintended and unexpected” (‘Confessions of the world’s best father’: A Q&A with Dave Engledow, The Baltimore Sun).
 Pumpkinhead, 2013

 Waiting for the Ferry, 2011
Although Engledow is best known for his photos as “The Worlds Best Dad”, he takes beautiful photos with a wide range of techniques and methods that are astounding and well composed. One of these interesting well composed photos in black and white is right above.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Luke,
    Great work on your research paper. I enjoy this guys sense of humor, but also like many other viewers, I took away the obvious love he has for his daughter. These photos in short are adorable. If he spends so much work taking these photos, I cannot imagine how much work he puts into making sure Alice Bee is happy and healthy. The colors are so bright and vibrant and I enjoy his use of photoshop to portray motion or time. My favorite would have to be the one of his coaching her into becoming a weightlifter for the Olympics. I like that he pokes fun at other parents, such as the negligible one but also stage parents and what not. Yet I can tell this is just a mask for all of his worries into not becoming, in her eyes, the worlds best dad. Also, wow the last photo is so different and shows the extreme rang of photographs he takes. I love the placement of the shot!
    Great job and congratulations on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that these photos have some great insight that we could all learn from. This very much gets away from voyeuristic attitudes of children and gets very personal with his subject. Instead of getting thousands of hits by people on candid photographs he chooses every shot for the world to see. I think that the love for his daughter is admirable, but in a lot of ways they are creepy to me. In a lot of ways parents in general are creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke, I love this collection of photos. It plays so well off of simple everyday things and really dramatizes them while adding a great sense of humor. He really portrays the fears and overwhelming feeling of being a new dad and good parent along with the unconditional love of his daughter. His use of photoshop is so interesting and the contrasting colors really attract the viewers eyes. Great job on your final project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love all of these this is such an interesting group of picture, great choice! They are all so funny! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Luke,
    I must say your selection of photos and photographer touches a chord with me, because I am a father. Some of the photos are funny at the same time serious. He chose some greats shots of his children. His photos are orginal and classic. I would like to know how he created the pancakes in bed photo, as well as the pumpkin head. You chose an original artist. I love his photos!

    ReplyDelete